I have been working as a family therapist offering infertility counselling for over 20 years. These are the main areas of my expertise:
- psychosocial infertility counselling for individuals and couples
- preparation for family building with the assistance of donor gametes (egg donation, sperm donation, embryo donation)
- supporting parents who intend to talk to their children as well as family and friends about the donor conception of their child
- supporting couples who have experienced miscarriages, stillbirths
- couple and family therapy
- training for professionals
Many of my scientific articles are published in English and I have also written chapters for English books. I also provide many of the news in the „News“ section (scroll down) on international developments and in English. I speak English fluently and offer counselling and therapy in English. If you are interested in counselling, training or in books and articles on infertility counselling, feel free to browse through the various sections of my website. If interested, you can contact me by telephone or email. If you subscribe my „News“, you can read about new books, TV shows, radio contributions etc. both in German and in English. Dr. Petra Thorn
For individuals and couples seeking support
I known that it is not easy to experience a crisis and to find out that you do not have sufficient resources to master this crisis on your own. Infertility can be such a crisis. If your wish for a child is not fulfilled and you are considering medical treatment, counselling can help you to be informed about all medical and non-medical ways of building a family. Counselling can also support your decision-making for or against medical treatment. If you decide to undergo treatment, it can help you to survive the emotional roller-coaster. Last but not least, it is important for some to draw limits, to decide when to stop treatment and to develop an alternative life plan. Click the sections below to find out more (these sections are all in German):
- General information on therapy and counselling (Allgemeine Hinweise zu Therapie und Beratung)
- Details about infertility counselling (Näheres zur Kinderwunschberatung)
- Counselling via telephone and skype (Beratung per Telefon oder Skype)
- General information about family building with egg and semen donation (Allgemeines zur Familienbildung mit Samen- oder Eizellspende)
- Information seminars for family building with egg and semen donation (Informationsseminare zur Familienbildung mit Samen- und Eizellspende)
- „Telling and Talking“ seminars for parents who have children conceived via egg and semen donation (Seminare zur Aufklärung von Kindern, die mit Samen- oder Eizellspende gezeugt sind)
- Books for family building with medical assistance (Bücher zur Familienbildung mit medizinischer Unterstützung)
- Counselling fees and formal issues (Kosten und Formales)
- News on infertility
There are many Links to external websites with information on infertility, egg donation and donor insemination, also in other countries. And you can establish contact (Kontakt) to others experiencing infertility and to families following egg and sperm donation – for many, this contact helps to normalize feelings and to find out about others‘ experiences.
You can read more News if you scroll down. Below, you can also subscribe them.
Please ring me if you would like to schedule an appointment, find out abut training opportunities or presentations. The best time to reach me is in the mornings between 9.00 and 12.00 o’clock.
If you cannot reach me personally, you can leave a message with my secretary during my office hours (Monday to Friday 8.00 to 18.00 o’clock). Outside of these hours, you can leave a message on my answer phone. I will ring you back as soon as possible.
Dr. Petra Thorn
Langener Str. 37
+49 06105 22629
If you are interested in professional information on infertility counselling and psychosocial aspects of infertility, have a look at these sections:
- Training for general as well as specialized infertility counselling (i.e. gamete donation etc.) is offered by the German Society for Fertility Counselling –BKiD
- For books on family building with medical asssistance, see FamART
- Here you find books I have written, edited or co-authored
- Here you find scientific articles I have authors or co-authored
- Here you find presentations
- Here you find trainings I have conducted for professionals in Germany and abroad
- Here you find some contributions I have made to journals, radio and TV
If you are interested in training possibilities or would like to ask me for presentations, feel free to ring me or send me an email.
What has evolved from my work as an infertility counsellor
Aa a social worker and family therapist I have been working as an infertility counsellor for over 20 years. From the very beginning, I have focused on family building by donor insemination and from the very beginning, I have supported disclosure. When counselling and facilitating seminars, I often felt that couples would like to be open about the way they built their family, but they felt anxious and were worried about negative reactions from family members and friends.
Books for children
As early as in the 1990is, in the Anglo-Saxon world, books for children conceived by donor insemination were published. About 10 years ago, these books inspired me to write similar books in German. Together with Tiziana Rinaldi, an Italian artist, I have written several books. She has a magnificent way of painting wonderful, dream-like illustrations that are so typical for especially young children. In 2006, these books led to the foundation of my publishing house FamART (Family Building with Assisted Reproductive Technology).
Books for parents and professionals
In the last years, together with her and with other authors, several more books have been created. In addition, colleagues approached me and asked if I was interested in publishing other books on family building with medical assistance. This has become the current programme of FamART, which you can see and/or download on the left. I am certain there will be more books in the future…
Dr. Petra Thorn
Whenever I come across some news worth reporting I post them here on my website. These include new books, announcements about radio and TV contributions as well as interesting articles from abroad in English. You can subscribe these news, see on the right „subsribe News“.
Archive of News
If you are looking for older news, you dann access the archive here.
Im Spiegel online wurde vor kurzem über diesen Prediger und seine Versprechen berichtet. Offensichtlich halfen in diesen Fällen Gebete alleine nicht, den Kinderwunsch zu erfüllen. Der Prediger griff zu radikaleren Mittel. Hier mehr ...mehr lesen
WHO WAS SHE? A DNA TEST ONLY OPENED NEW MYSTERIES Several years ago, Alice Collins Plebuch became interested in her past and sent for a “just-for-fun DNA test.” She wanted to know who she was related to - only to find out more complexities than she expected. More...mehr lesen
This meta-study indicates that children conceived via donor sperm fare as well as their peers conceived the traditional way. Read the study here ...mehr lesen
Laut einer aktuellen Studie führt häufiger Sex bei Fertilitätsproblemen nicht zu schlechteren Schwangerschaftsraten. Hier können Sie die Zusammenfassung in der Ärztezeitung lesen. ...mehr lesen
Tagung in Göttingen: Familienbildung mit Hilfe von Samenspende, Eizellspende, Embryonenspende und Leihmutterschaft
Familienbildung mit Samenspende, Eizellspende, Embryonenspende und Leihmutterschaft Gemeinsam mit dem DI-Netz und der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Kinderwunschberatung führt die Universität Göttingen, Institut für Ethik und Geschichte der Medizin, die o.a. Tagung am 3....mehr lesen
Hier zum Artikel im Ärzteblatt.mehr lesen
Von Helge gibt es seit einiger Zeit diesen Blog für Männer mit Kinderwunsch.mehr lesen
Here the article.mehr lesen
Hier ein Artikel von Dr. Elmar Breitbach zum Thema "Fruchtbarkeit bei Männern" und der Altersfaktor. ...mehr lesen
In den letzten Wochen sind einige Artikel veröffentlich worden, die über eine gesunkene Spermienzahl bei Männern berichteten. Hier eine Entwarnung aus urologischer Sicht. ...mehr lesen
Gestern und heute ist in vielen Zeitschriften ausführlich über die Methode des Crispr/Cas9, der sog. Genschere, berichtet worden. Mit dieser "Schere" sollen angeblich das Erbgut so "zurecht geschnitten" werden, dass bestimmte genetische Leiden nicht auf ein Kind...mehr lesen
In Berlin sollen demnächst auch nicht verheiratete Paare einen Zuschuss zur Kinderwunschbehandlung erhalten. Hier mehr. ...mehr lesen