I have been working as a family therapist offering infertility counselling for over 20 years. These are the main areas of my expertise:
- psychosocial infertility counselling for individuals and couples
- preparation for family building with the assistance of donor gametes (egg donation, sperm donation, embryo donation)
- supporting parents who intend to talk to their children as well as family and friends about the donor conception of their child
- supporting couples who have experienced miscarriages, stillbirths
- couple and family therapy
- training for professionals
Many of my scientific articles are published in English and I have also written chapters for English books. I also provide many of the news in the „News“ section (scroll down) on international developments and in English. I speak English fluently and offer counselling and therapy in English. If you are interested in counselling, training or in books and articles on infertility counselling, feel free to browse through the various sections of my website. If interested, you can contact me by telephone or email. If you subscribe my „News“, you can read about new books, TV shows, radio contributions etc. both in German and in English. Dr. Petra Thorn
Are you interested in numbers?
Here some on my skills and experiences:
years of infertility counselling
reviews for journals
Books and articles
contributions to magazines, radio and TV
trainings for professionals
participation in international conferences
commitment to infertility counselling
For individuals and couples seeking support
I known that it is not easy to experience a crisis and to find out that you do not have sufficient resources to master this crisis on your own. Infertility can be such a crisis. If your wish for a child is not fulfilled and you are considering medical treatment, counselling can help you to be informed about all medical and non-medical ways of building a family. Counselling can also support your decision-making for or against medical treatment. If you decide to undergo treatment, it can help you to survive the emotional roller-coaster. Last but not least, it is important for some to draw limits, to decide when to stop treatment and to develop an alternative life plan. Click the sections below to find out more (these sections are all in German):
- General information on therapy and counselling (Allgemeine Hinweise zu Therapie und Beratung)
- Details about infertility counselling (Näheres zur Kinderwunschberatung)
- Counselling via telephone and skype (Beratung per Telefon oder Skype)
- General information about family building with egg and semen donation (Allgemeines zur Familienbildung mit Samen- oder Eizellspende)
- Information seminars for family building with egg and semen donation (Informationsseminare zur Familienbildung mit Samen- und Eizellspende)
- „Telling and Talking“ seminars for parents who have children conceived via egg and semen donation (Seminare zur Aufklärung von Kindern, die mit Samen- oder Eizellspende gezeugt sind)
- Books for family building with medical assistance (Bücher zur Familienbildung mit medizinischer Unterstützung)
- Counselling fees and formal issues (Kosten und Formales)
- News on infertility
There are many Links to external websites with information on infertility, egg donation and donor insemination, also in other countries. And you can establish contact (Kontakt) to others experiencing infertility and to families following egg and sperm donation – for many, this contact helps to normalize feelings and to find out about others‘ experiences.
You can read more news if you scroll further down as well as in the archive.
Please ring me if you would like to schedule an appointment, find out abut training opportunities or presentations. The best time to reach me is in the mornings between 9.00 and 12.00 o’clock.
If you cannot reach me personally, you can leave a message with my secretary during my office hours (Monday to Friday 8.00 to 18.00 o’clock). Outside of these hours, you can leave a message on my answer phone. I will ring you back as soon as possible.
Dr. Petra Thorn
Langener Str. 37
+49 06105 22629
If you are interested in professional information on infertility counselling and psychosocial aspects of infertility, have a look at these sections:
- Training for general as well as specialized infertility counselling (i.e. gamete donation etc.) is offered by the German Society for Fertility Counselling –BKiD
- For books on family building with medical asssistance, see FamART
- Here you find books I have written, edited or co-authored
- Here you find scientific articles I have authors or co-authored
- Here you find presentations
- Here you find trainings I have conducted for professionals in Germany and abroad
- Here you find some contributions I have made to journals, radio and TV
If you are interested in training possibilities or would like to ask me for presentations, feel free to ring me or send me an email.
What has evolved from my work as an infertility counsellor
Aa a social worker and family therapist I have been working as an infertility counsellor for over 20 years. From the very beginning, I have focused on family building by donor insemination and from the very beginning, I have supported disclosure. When counselling and facilitating seminars, I often felt that couples would like to be open about the way they built their family, but they felt anxious and were worried about negative reactions from family members and friends.
Books for children
As early as in the 1990is, in the Anglo-Saxon world, books for children conceived by donor insemination were published. About 10 years ago, these books inspired me to write similar books in German. Together with Tiziana Rinaldi, an Italian artist, I have written several books. She has a magnificent way of painting wonderful, dream-like illustrations that are so typical for especially young children. In 2006, these books led to the foundation of my publishing house FamART (Family Building with Assisted Reproductive Technology).
Books for parents and professionals
In the last years, together with her and with other authors, several more books have been created. In addition, colleagues approached me and asked if I was interested in publishing other books on family building with medical assistance. This has become the current programme of FamART, which you can see and/or download on the left. I am certain there will be more books in the future…
Dr. Petra Thorn
Whenever I come across some news worth reporting I post them here on my website. These include new books, announcements about radio and TV contributions as well as interesting articles from abroad in English. You can subscribe these news, see on the right „subsribe News“.
Archive of News
If you are looking for older news, you dann access the archive here.
Wir suchen Kontakt mit anderen Betroffenen: Wir sind sehr daran interessiert, uns mit Eltern mit älteren Kindern nach Eizellspende austauschen zu können, vor allem hinsichtlich ihrer Erfahrungen mit der Aufklärung. Unsere Emailadresse: email@example.com...mehr lesen
Aufbau Netzwerk von Familien nach Eizellspende Wir suchen Familien, die an einem regelmäßigen Austausch interessiert sind. Wir wohnen im Rhein-Main-Gebiet, sind aber interessiert an einem überregionalen Kontakt, um gemeinsame Themen teilen zu können und gerne auch ein...mehr lesen
Vor einiger Zeit war ich als Gast in der evangelischen Kirche in Wörrstadt eingeladen, zum Thema "Kinderwunsch" zu referieren. Hier ist ein Artikel über diesen besonderen Gottesdienst. Zum Artikel in der Allgemeinen Zeitung...mehr lesen
Was eine Frau dazu bringt, fünf Kinder von einer Samenbank zu bekommen - hier zum...mehr lesen
Die Ärztezeitung berichtete vor kurzem über das Thema "Schilddrüse und Kinderwunsch". ...mehr lesen
Im Stern TV ist folgender Beitrag zu lesbischen Familien erschienen: https://www.stern.de/tv/unerfuellter-kinderwunsch--warum-wird-lesbischen-paaren-eine-samenspende-verwehrt-7974514.html ...mehr lesen
In den letzten zwei Wochen habe ich hier keine neuen Beiträge erstellt, denn ich war mit der Aktualisierung meiner Webseite aufgrund der DSGVO beschäftigt. Dies ist nun fast abgeschlossen, und in den nächsten zwei bis drei Wochen wird zudem die optische Erscheinung...mehr lesen
Vor einiger Zeit hatte ich schon einmal über die Performance "Global Belly" berichtet. Nun stehen neue Termine hierfür fest: Performing Arts Festival (6.6 und 8.6.) https://www.sophiensaele.com/produktionen.php?IDstueck=1670&hl=de Impulse Theaterfestival (15, 16. und...mehr lesen
Hier zum Artikel.mehr lesen
Hier kann eine Info-Mappe für Ärzte zum Thema "Kinderwunsch" als PDF heruntergeladen werden.mehr lesen
ARD: Risiko Samenspende Do, 05.04.2018, 20:15 bis 21:00 Uhr Sa, 07.04.2018, 14:15 bis 15:00 Uhr Di, 10.04.2018, 19:15 bis 20:00 Uhr Sa, 14.04.2018, 09:15 bis 10:00 Uhr...mehr lesen
Hier zum Artikel.mehr lesen